Saturday 21 April 2007

Bandits and Outlaws

I do not see why rogues such as bandits and outlaws are made to appear as heroes with the possible exception of Robin Hood which I feel is not a real character but a made up character and it is for that reason that I do not include a fairytale character in the rogues gallery. However, real characters such as Jesse James are criminals and there is nothing romantic or heroic about their actions. Therefore, it is the media such as television, cinema, radio and newspapers that have created the notion that some criminals are really heroes. Therefoe, there should be a lecture set aside for Bad Media, not only because of their false portrayal of bandits and outlaws but also because of their methods to obtain big story on celebrities.
My Response to Alex's Response to this entry
I am afraid we are going to have to disagree to some degree. I can understand why they are glorified in that the famous or infamous bandits or outlaws did something spectacular but I still feel it is wrong that they are glorified in any way. These people were hardened criminals and should be viewed in that context. However, people do often admire bad guys. I remember a relative of mine saying many years ago before she got married that she was fed up of being sent on blind dates with perceived 'good' men and wanted to go on dates with men that had a bad side to them. Just be careful or else you too might go over the Dark Side (reference to Star Wars which is nothing to do with this blog entry).

No comments: