Sunday 29 April 2007

Response 4 (Louise-Ann)

http://subconcsious.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-hard-for-misbehaviour.html

I take on board what you say about being smacked not having affected you. I can never remember having being smacked as a child by either of my parents, neither of them believed in smacking children. I remember being yelled at (and truth be told my mother still yells at me quite frequently) but never smacked. I don't think it became a case of spare the rod and spoil the child. I was still made to know what what right and what was wrong as far as they were concerned.
Having said all that there are wild children that I believe need a spack. I remember a few years ago my cousin and two of her children staying with me. The eldest child (a boy) was far too lively and one day in the garden spat in my direction. I caught him and really told him off infront of his mother to which his mother said that was why her sister and the boy had stopped talking - he had spat at her sister as well a few weeks earlier. I am also aware his dad used to smack him for misbehaving. Perhaps the smacking caused my cousin's son to misbehave even further. His younger brother and sister were a lot more well behaved. Anyway they live in Cyprus and the army there is compulsary. This year he became 18 and is now in the army for two years compulsary service. I can only hope he learns some respect for other people.
Although I was not smacked as a child because I am not a father and therefore do not have to look after children 24/7 I feel that I do not have the right to offer a definitive opinion on smacking. Those who are perents and therefore live or have lived under the constant stress and delight of raising children can rage on with the argument over smacking.

No comments: