Tuesday 17 April 2007

Being Too Religious







The lecture on Being too Religious was interesting. However, due to the amount of students behaving badly (too loudly) I did not return for the second half which is unusual for me. Having heard half the lecture I still believe that everyone has the right to believe in what they want to believe so long as they are not harming anyone else and so long as they are not trying to force their beliefs on other people.

I am religious and enjoyed attending the night services during the week before Easter. Although I am religious I have my own beliefs and for example most people that I know who are in the same religion go to Confession on a regular basis. Although I can understand why they go to Confession I am not comfortable with the concept of Confession and do not appreciate comments such as you will not go to heaven unless you attend confession, or you are not allowed the oly Comunion unless you have attended Confession. That is placing conditions on religion and just like the notion of Unconditional Love there should also be a notion that religious belief should be Unconditional. I shall give another example. During the Holy week leading up to Easter the Congregation on the one evening went for Holy Water and Holy Oil. However, some were turned away because they were of a different religion. Again I beleive that this is wrong. The people concerned may well have been religious may have been of another Christian faith - I beleive that they should have been allowed the Holy Water and Holy Oil. Perhaps if some of the religious were more tolerant then the numbers within different faiths would not be diminishing.

I also have two cousins that are nuns. However, just because I am religious does not mean I cannot enjoy a joke against religion. Perhaps on a subsequent blog entry I might put a few religious jokes. Also just because someone is religious does not mean that they are holier than though and they should not behave that they are superior to others.










No comments: