Friday 20 April 2007

Lying with Integrity

It was interesting to see how many people in the Being Bad lecture this week were justifying lying and not just little white lies where no one gets hurt or where it is done to protect someone. I do not believe in lying to further one's opportunities which is what the lecturer at one point suggested people might do. I have been on the receiving end of someone's lying and it is not a nice experience - it is an experience that causes you to feel ill and therefore I would not do that on someone else no matter what the circumstances.
Being truthful is an moral and honourable trait. If you are put in a position where telling the truth is likely to hurt someone then it is better to say that you would rather not answer than tell a lie. Perhaps it is because I am religious and do believe in the 10 commandments and 'thou shalt not lie' that I believe strongly that you should not lie. Having said that I am aware of where religious people such as Nuns have lied and therefore being religious does not necessarily result in not lying.
During the lecture the lecturer mentioned about lying to children that Santa Claus exists. I actually don't agree with that one either and again it is due to experience. About twelve to fifteen years ago I had some relatives stay for two weeks during the Christmas period and the father of the three young children dressed up as Santa Claus. Everyone in the house gave the presents they had bought for the youngest child (a girl) to Santa Claus to give to her because she believed in Santa Claus. The delight on her face was indeed fantastic. However, a few hours later the little girl (my cousin's daughters) came up to me and said "we brought you these presents and Santa Claus brought me all these presents. Did you buy me a present?" I was mortified as I had given the present to her dad to give to her as Santa Claus.
And now for possibly the most famous lie of all:-

No comments: